Liberty University collects various types of information through our sites and other websites where you express interest in our services, as well as through our mobile applications, via email, Live Chat over the phone, via printed forms and in person. Some information is collected automatically through various web and Internet technologies including social networking tools used by the University. Other information is collected when provided to us voluntarily.
We may also obtain information from education partners, business associates, and unrelated entities and combine it with information we collect.
Information Collected Automatically
The University collects limited, non-personal identifying information your browser makes available when visiting websites. We may aggregate this non-identifying information for reporting purposes to access the effectiveness of our websites without disclosing specific information that would link to any individual. This includes:
- Your Internet Protocol address
- The Browser type (Chrome, Firefox, etc)
- Your computer’s operating system (Windows, Macintosh, etc)
- Your Internet domain
- Your device (iPhone, Tablet, etc.)
- URLs of the websites you came to our websites from
- Cookie information described below
- The pages on our website that you visit including date and time of access
- Geographic vicinity and other demographic and interests information
- Collection date
- Day of week, time of day (hour)
- Language setting
- Country, state, designated market area (OMA), city (relating to IP address, if available)
- Web pages visited
- E-mail clicks or other actions taken
- Publisher name
Information You Provide to Us
In addition to the web analytical information collected when you visit our sites, or business associate site, Liberty University also collects, uses, and discloses personal information that you provide to us voluntarily online or off-line when you respond to an advertisement, a survey or request information, register for classes, apply for financial aid, order educational or other products and services, set up a social network or other site profile, or use on one of our career resources, learning assessments or other interactive tool.
Inquiry and Application Forms
Information that you choose to complete, which may include your name, email address, phone number, and content of the e-mail, are used in order to provide information about the University.
If you do not wish to provide your contact information online, you may call the University and request that information be sent through the mail.
Purchasing Merchandise or Donating to the University
Information that you choose to complete, which may be your name, e-mail address, phone number, mailing and/or billing address, credit or debit card information are used to send merchandise to you, and to contact you if necessary.
Your financial information is used for billing.
Any information about a third party that you wish to include as a beneficiary.
If you do not wish to provide your contact or financial information online, you may call the University to place an order or donate.
Login Sites and Services
Various websites and web services of Liberty University require users to log in and gain access to information and tools reserved for students, faculty, and staff.
Creation of a login account requires you to provide your student or faculty/staff ID number.
Web Engagement Data
Your engagement data (i.e., analytical info, referral data, form data, etc.) may be used to personalize our communications with you.
Liberty University websites have standard security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of the information under our control. For example, we utilize standard SSL encryption when accepting your credit card information during the online ordering process, as well as whenever we ask you to log in to any of the University’s online student and faculty services.
How Information is Used
Liberty University will not sell, rent, or lease your personal information to others except in accordance with this policy. We may collect, use, and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- Determine admissibility and register for selected educational purpose
- Contact you regarding your status within the University
- Provide requested products and services
- Respond to inquiries and provide customer support
- Administer promotions in which you have indicated an interest
- For internal marketing purposes, which include, but are not limited to, sending you material about products, services, updates, etc. that we think will be of interest to you
- Fostering communication and collaboration among members of your University community
- Sharing with our education partners or business associates who may contact you with respect to their educational or other services requested by you
- Analyze how sites and services are being accessed and used
- Investigation of information security and information asset protection-related incidents
- Test, correct, and improve our content, applications, and services
- Develop new applications, products, and services
- Online behavioral advertising purposes
- Improve student retention, site and service performance, user experience and delivery
- Prevent potentially illegal activities (including illegal downloading of copy righted materials in accordance with our copyright policy)
- Investigate suspicious information that denotes illegal activity such as financial aid fraud
- Analyze academic and learning outcomes and preferences
- External academic research and scholarship done by business associates or unrelated entities
- Analyze risk and business results
- Obtain payment for services that we provide to you
- Provide you with information concerning arrangements and other options for the repayment of funds loaded to you for your education
- Maintain educational and business records for reasonable periods
- Communicate to education partners, business associates, or unrelated entities in connection with the contemplated or actual reorganization, merger, acquisition, financing, securitization, insuring, sale, or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets, including for the purposes of determining whether to proceed with such transaction or fulfilling any records or other reporting requirements to such parties. In the event of any actual reorganization, merger, or acquisition, such information may be transferred as part of the transaction to the acquirer.
Internet Technologies Used
Cookies, web beacons, and other relevant Internet technologies are used in our emails and on our sites to allow us to accomplish the uses set out above as well as to deliver sites messaging and to keep track of your information. These small pieces of program code reside in your computer and browser and can be removed. If you desire to remove such technologies you may do so, but this may render our sites unusable to you. You can opt out of cookies or other Internet technologies used by disabling these features in your browser program. Please note that this deletion of certain opt out cookies may require you to renew your online behavioral advertising opt outs periodically. Consult your browsers Help menu for assistance in changing cookie settings or removing cookie files.
Sites Hosting and Links from Our Sites to Other Websites
Some of our sites may contain links to websites hosted by education partners, unrelated entities, and business associates operating websites on their own behalf or on behalf of multiple entities. Some of these websites may collect your personal information and may apply their own policies on how your personal information is used. In addition, some of our Sites may have additional policies that apply to the use of personal information collected on that site. Please make sure to read the policies of any websites you visit on the Internet carefully. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of the content of any websites that are not operated by or exclusively for us, and the collection, use, and disclosure of information about you will be subject to the policies applicable on those websites.
Liberty University Online Academy and Liberty Christian Academy
The Liberty University Online Academy (www.libertyonlineacademy.com) offers programs for students in grades K-12. It collects personal identifying information through its inquiry and application forms. Although the forms ask for the personal information of the parent or guardian, not the child, Liberty University upholds the confidentiality of any and all information obtained from parents in the course of gaining parental consent or providing parental access.
Parents may ask to have the child’s personal identifying information deleted by using the contact information below:
Liberty University Online Academy
1971 University Boulevard
Lynchburg, VA 24515
Personal information collected on the Liberty University Online Academy website is not shared with third parties.
Liberty Christian Academy (www.lcabulldogs.com) is an affiliated traditional private grade school whose website resides on Liberty University’s domain. Liberty Christian Academy does not collect personal identifying information online but only provides printable forms to submit offline.
Liberty University limits the collection or use of non-personal information your browser makes available when vising the websites of our affiliated K-12 grade schools by restricting reporting features that can be applied to these sites.
Guardians are encouraged to visit Google’s Online Safety Center to learn more about further provisions they can employ to restrict the collection of data on minors.
Your Rights and Responsibilities
Express Consent to Receive Prerecorded Voice Messages, Text Messages and Calls using an Autodialer
If you have provided prior express written consent in the process of requesting information from the University about its educational offerings or services, or if you have provided express consent after becoming a student to receive communications related to purposes other than marketing, we may use an automatic telephone dialing system (auto-dialer), artificial, or prerecorded voice messages and text messages to communicate with you.
In the case of text communications, you may receive text messages periodically regarding Liberty University. Message and data rates may apply. You may opt out at any time by texting STOPLUO to cancel future text messages. By sending STOPLUO, you agree to one additional confirmation message stating that you have opted out and will no longer receive text messages from Liberty University. To get help, text HELP. You may also get additional support or help by calling 800-424-9595.
By consenting to receive texts you specifically authorize Liberty University to send text communications using an automatic dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice. Your participation and/or consent is not a condition of purchasing any goods or services. Your consent also provides authorization for the specific telephone number that may be contracted via this program.
Opt out - Liberty Marketing
Information you provide may be used by the University for marketing purposes. If at any point you wish to discontinue receiving marketing e-mails or phone calls, you may use the opt out feature on our e-mails or call the University at (800) 543- 5317 or (800) 424-9595. Liberty University never blends their collection data with Google. See below for information on Google’s Privacy and Terms or to opt out of their automatic data collection.
Opt out - Google and social media
Liberty University encourages its website visitors to learn more about how Google uses data and how you can control the information sent through your browser by viewing Google’s Privacy & Terms page. Users who wish to learn more about opting out of the automatic collection and use of data on the web should visit Google’s Consumer Ads Help Center or Opt Out here.
We may release personal information when necessary to comply with the law, respond to our judicial process, or provide information to law enforcement of regulatory agencies, enforce our conditions of use and other agreements, or protect the rights, property, or safety of Liberty University, our faculty, staff, users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
How to Update Your Information
Our student and faculty services Sites, including ASIST, provide you with the option of changing and modifying information you have previously provided to us.
Changes to This Policy